Back-end Development means server-side development. It is the term used for the behind-the-scenes activities that happen when performing any action on a website. It can be logging in to your account or purchasing a watch from an online store.
The backend developer focuses on databases, scripting, and the architecture of websites. Code written by back-end developers helps to communicate the database information to the browser.
A most common example of Backend programming is when you are reading this article on the blog. The fonts, colors, designs, etc. constitute the frontend of this page. While the content of the article is rending from a server and fetched from a database. This is the backend part of the application.
SKILLS THAT BACK END DEVELOPER MUST HAVE
- Write the HTML code that’s presented in the user’s browser.
- Write the program code to make the site respond to the user’s clicks.
- Communicate with a database to store data users enter.
- Provide data to iOS or Android apps through JSON or XML APIs.
- Keep track of all the changes to their code as they update it over time.
- Working experience of frameworks like Django for Python, Larval for PHP, etc
- Ability to write quality unit tests
- Knowledge of Algorithms and data structures is also an essential need for any professional full stack developer
- An awareness of security concerns is important, as each layer has its vulnerabilities
- Should know the differences between multiple delivery platforms like mobile vs. desktop
- Basic exposure to frontend techs like HTML and CSS is desirable.
- Knowledge of session management in a distributed server environment
BACK END FRAMEWORKS
- Spring boot Framework
- Express Framework
- Django Framework
- RoR ( Ruby on Rails ) Framework
- Laravel Lumen Framework
- Flask Framework
- Microdot Framework
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITES OF BACK END DEVELOPER
- The backend developer job is to understand the goals of the website and come up with effective solutions
- Storing data and also ensuring that it is displayed to that user who is supposed to have access to it
- Responsible for developing Payment processing system like accepting data, securely storing that info, and making changes to that payment
- Manage APIs resources which work across devices
- He or she might be involved in the architecture of a system and Data science analyses.
- Developers are responsible to organize the logic of the system which runs across various devices
- Backend developer also needs to involve in building frameworks or the architecture to make it easier to program against.
- Back-end developers should have the skill for implementing algorithms and solving system-related problems.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FRONTEND AND BACKEND
|Team||Front-end developers design the look of the website, by taking user’s inputs and modifying it through testing.||Back-end developers develop an application that supports the front-end. It should also provide support, security, and content management.|
|Stand-alone Service||Front-end development service can’t be offered independently.||Back-end development can be offered as an independent service in the form of BaaS (Back-end as a service).|
|Goal||Front-end developers should make sure that the website is accessible to all users, and it remains responsive in all views – mobile and desktop.||The back-end team may need to create an application around the front-end and support it. Moreover, they need to make sure that the website opens up and functioning properly.|
|Most popular tools||jQuery, HTML5,||MySQL, PHP|
As the importance of having a website is increasing every day, the importance of having a dynamic website is also increasing. So, after you decide to have a website of your own, don’t cheat on the roles. Hire someone you think is eligible enough to power up your website’s backend.